Click column header to sort
Grant Management- Support in creating comprehensive budgets for new grant proposals (or re-budgeting of existing grants) that meet both internal CHAI requirements and external donor requirements.- Review and support in preparing donor deliverables such as financial reports and invoices.- Support in both grant kick-off and grant close-out activities to ensure there is smooth communication of compliance requirements across the Global EM team and other teams, as is relevant.- Support in review and tracking of donor-required timesheets, as applicable, and in updating monthly salary allocation records to align with approved timesheet data. Analyze monthly donor financials to ensure alignment between posted expenses and approved timesheet allocations.Monthly Financial Review and Annual Budgeting- Review monthly transactions and identify and draft necessary adjustments.- Analyze monthly variances of operational expenses to budget and work with Managers and Directors to provide variance explanations and to make ongoing adjustments to financial plans based on variances.- Support the annual budgeting and semi-annual reforecasting process to ensure consistency and accurate reflection of programmatic goals given the financial resources available.- Ensure timely submission of routine requests from finance, including the monthly salary allocation file and monthly variance explanations.Operations Evaluation and Financial Planning- Contribute to creation and maintenance of financial models to track expenditure and generate forecasts to help drive programmatic decisions.- Ensure the Global EM team has the relevant finance information they need to track travel budgets and charge expenses.- Identify, investigate, and implement potential operational improvements.Other- Maintain confidential records, such as employee information (specifically salary and benefit information) and financial information (budgets and allocations).- Help coordinate audit documentation and response collection as needed.- Communicate effectively in a matrixed work environment across various stakeholders.- Perform other programmatic/operational duties as requested.- Option to travel internationally 1-2 times per year.
- Drafting recommendations and implementation plans to operationalize CHAI’s five-year strategy, including near-term strategic and operational improvements and presenting recommendations to the CEO and other senior leadership.- Scoping potential new, high-impact program areas, including by conducting background research, modeling quantitative impact case, and evaluating funding landscape.- Developing briefing notes, pitch decks, and proposals to secure catalytic funding for new and existing programs and initiatives.- Collaborating with a diverse set of stakeholders across functions to support high-priority special projects across the organization.- Supporting the development of communication materials, including reports, presentations, and updates to internal and external stakeholders.- Supporting Senior Leadership to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, such as donors, partners, and board members, to support CHAI’s mission and initiatives.- Collecting, analyzing, and presenting data to inform decision-making, tracking key performance indicators, and assessing the impact of projects.
As a Strategy & Special Projects Summer Associate, you will work closely with CHAI’s Chief of Staff and CHAI Senior Leadership, including CHAI’s CEO, on high priority projects that span CHAI’s diverse portfolio of programs and geographies. In this role, you will help shape the long-term strategy of an organization that impacts the lives of millions of people in low- and middle-income countries. Activities will include supporting the operationalization and implementation of CHAI’s five-year strategy; developing new approaches for partnerships and external relations; evaluating internal processes for program measurement and evaluation; and creating and implementing change management strategies for CHAI’s 2024-2028 strategy. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction of the full organization and incubate critical new functions and projects. You will be responsible for:- Drafting recommendations and implementation plans to operationalize CHAI’s five-year strategy, including near-term strategic and operational improvements and presenting recommendations to the CEO and other senior leadership.- Collaborating with a diverse set of stakeholders across functions to support high-priority special projects across the organization.- Supporting the development of communication materials, including reports, presentations, and updates to internal and external stakeholders.- Supporting Senior Leadership to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, such as donors, partners, and board members, to support the CHAI’s mission and initiatives.- Developing briefing notes, pitch decks, and proposals to secure catalytic funding for new and existing programs and initiatives.- Collecting, analyzing, and presenting data to inform decision-making, tracking key performance indicators, and assessing the impact of projects.
Employee Relations (25%)- Advise assigned program leadership and staff on building team morale, increasing productivity and retention, and resolving complex employee relations issues with adept cultural sensitivity.- Provide guidance on practices that promote effective and harmonious working relationships across CHAI’s diverse matrix, in line with our principles of engagement.- Handle sensitive matters and intake complaints from employees and others. Plan and execute confidential and legally compliant investigations around employee relations issues as assigned,- Serve as Focal Point for issues pertaining to CHAI’s Global Code of Conduct and the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse & Harassment (PSEAH).- Facilitate new hire check-ins and conduct exit interviews with assigned global program teams.- Conduct regular meetings with respective teams, including team leadership, by phone, web application or in person in order to understand and anticipate HR needs.HR Operations, Compensation & Compliance (25%)- Provide guidance to assigned program teams on compensation and equity, HR procedure and policy interpretation, host-country compliance, and recruiting and retention strategies.- Advise assigned program teams on compensation decisions by analyzing internal data and providing recommendations that align with CHAI’s compensation framework.- Work with other members of CHAI HR to facilitate employment agreements and interpret labor regulations and HR-related legal issues for country offices and international staff, research and interpret overseas labor laws, perform and support HR audits, and support reviews and changes to HR-related manuals and documents.- Maintain reasonable knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with Contracts department and Global Operations team as needed and provide guidance to managers as appropriate on a case by case basis,- Work with members of Global HR team to complete administrative work related to HR processes including contract renewals, payroll changes, etc. in a timely manner.Professional Development, Training & Workforce Planning (15%)- Provide coaching, guidance and communication as needed to program teams on a variety of topics including, but not limited to; staff performance, professional development, giving and receiving feedback, diversity, equity and inclusion, etc.- Work alongside program teams and Talent Acquisition to provide guidance and input on team restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.- Proactively identify opportunities to equip team members with resources that support professional development and internal mobility.- Facilitate training to Global Teams within portfolio as and when required.People Management (25%)- Provide day to day supervisory support to the HR Partner, Global Teams.- Mentor and develop the HR Partner, Global Teams through personal professional opportunities as well as those which support the Global HR team’s strategic priorities.Projects & Ad Hoc Responsibilities (10%)- Complete additional tasks as assigned by the Global HR Director, HR Business Partners based on team bandwidth and needs.- Lead or support on a variety of recurring and standalone projects in line with the Global HR strategic priorities as assigned.- Provide ad hoc reporting and analysis based on the needs of the HR team and various global teams.
Technical and Programmatic - Provide technical leadership and expertise, to CHAI’s vaccines program to mainstream gender considerations into program design and implementation.- Work closely with country teams to conduct comprehensive reviews of new and existing immunization program strategies, including zero-dose reduction strategies, to identify areas where programs can be refined to be gender informed and responsive, including development of country-level program outcomes related to gender.- Develop specific recommendations on how to embed a gender perspective more effectively throughout program lifecycles, from program conception, design, implementation, M&E and research, and transition/long-term sustainability of the work beyond CHAI. - Support countries’ efforts to conduct gender analyses for in-depth understanding of differentiated health needs, design and implement gender sensitive/ transformative solutions to respond to these needs and monitor the impact of these interventions. Also support countries to take a more proactive stance on incorporating gender considerations into their immunization programming approaches.- Contribute to development of country-level and global learning agenda with a focus on gender, and lead systematic knowledge management, including distilling and documentation of learnings on best practices and barriers to integrating gender considerations in immunization programming within and across countries.- Lead the development of and provide technical guidance and quality review for gender inclusion in technical deliverables, including review of gender analysis research protocols, data analysis plans, and other documents such as reports, toolkits, conference presentations and journal articles.- Guide refinement of immunization programs based on learnings from the implementation of gender related interventions and where feasible, support the adoption of an iterative learning approach to gender interventions in-country.- Drive knowledge sharing on gender mainstreaming for vaccines internally and externally, strengthen CHAI’s sectoral influence on gender, with the goal of informing and strengthening the approach of global vaccine decision makers and partners on gender. This will include engagements with Gavi and other relevant stakeholders on topics related to gender mainstreaming in immunization, establishing a feedback mechanism where CHAI’s programmatic insights inform global best practices and vice versa.Project Management- Oversee and manage the prioritization, planning and execution of gender integration recommendations working closely with multiple global and country team members throughout the process.- Collaborate with country teams on gender components of annual workplans; support and contribute to project planning and implementation that is responsive to country needs.- Manage project-level budgets (e.g., if gender-specific grants are awarded) and provide oversight and guidance to project staff.- Support recruitment, hiring, and management of project consultants if needed to support the gender-related work.New Business Development- Provide strategic thought leadership on gender considerations for vaccine delivery and contribute to technical components of concept notes/ proposals to drive gender equality and inclusive development.- Identify new funding opportunities for gender programming relevant to CHAI vaccines delivery priorities (including opportunities for integration with primary healthcare)- Support CHAI vaccines to strategize on its unique role in gender mainstreaming in the vaccine ecosystem.Organizational Strengthening- Contribute towards strengthening CHAI’s vaccine teams’ capacity and application of pro-gender thinking to contribute to CHAI wide gender policies and practices, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) policies, and the broader organizational strategy.- Develop a plan to support and build the capacity of CHAI vaccines global and country teams on a consistent basis to build up gender expertise and skills on the vaccines team and ensure incorporation of a gender lens in the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of the program work going forward.- Design and deliver training sessions and workshops reaching CHAI staff at both global and country levels to enhance their understanding of gender issues and how they relate to immunization. This may include provision of one-on-one mentoring to key staff members, to help develop their skills and understanding in gender-responsive and -transformative program design and implementation.- Create and disseminate gender-related resources, toolkits, and best practice guidelines to support CHAI teams in integrating gender into their work.Help advance cross-disease program opportunities across CHAI including through direct participation in CHAI’s Gender Equity Network which aims to strengthen gender programming to ensure that high impact, sustainable work is being conducted to advance CHAI’s mission.- Champion the importance of a gender perspective within and outside of CHAI, connecting CHAI with external gender experts and organizations to foster collaborations, share knowledge, stay updated with the latest research and best practices in gender integration, and periodically share updates with the team to generate discussions on aspects to consider in vaccines programming for greater impact.Travel requirement- International and domestical travel, as needed and in alignment with COVID-19 related travel recommendations.
- Develop and maintain effective processes to facilitate efficient operations of HAP- Organize, plan, and execute global virtual and in person conferences and meetings- Support with scheduling calls and recording and disseminating minutes- Providing scheduling support to HAP’s Senior Director and other team members as needed- Ensure knowledge flow, including the sharing and management of information and knowledge, across HAP and broader CHAI teams to facilitate the effective operation of HAP’s program goals- Maintaining and expanding knowledge management platforms to enable information sharing across HAP sub-teams- Supporting fundraising efforts of the global HAP team- Proactively develop and maintain the operational systems, processes, tools, policies, templates, and SOPs in support of HIV Program goals- May include other activities to support program objectives in response to ad hoc requests
- Lead grant management and reporting of subgrantees and consortium partners for key HIV treatment and AHD projects.- Foster strategic collaborations with consortium partners and external stakeholders to strengthen project goals and facilitate cross-organizational coordination.- Support the financial management of CHAI subgrantees ensuring compliance with CHAI and donor requirements.- Develop and execute a comprehensive communications strategy for the THRIVE project to increase visibility of the program’s impact.- Provide oversight for the production of internal and external communication products, including webinars, presentations, case studies, newsletters, internal briefing documents, and blog posts.- Support end-to-end grant and project management for key HIV treatment and AHD grants, including donor engagement, development of grant management processes and systems, and development of reports and project proposals.- Supervise a team of 2-3 operations staff responsible for project managing key HIV and AHD grants and managing overall operations for the HAP program.- Support the HAP Senior Director and manage certain cross-cutting internal and external initiatives across the HAP Team.- Serve as the primary point of contract within the HIV Access Program for coordinating with the CHAI Communications team in the development of external materials and content related to the HIV program.- Coordinate and support HAP’s cross-team fundraising and donor engagement strategies, including new donor scoping and project managing proposal development for HIV treatment and AHD and opportunities that cut across HAP.- Any other duties as assigned.
Drive NVI program and grant management, in collaboration with program and country leadership- Develop, support and manage a team of ~1-2 global associates/technical advisors on the NVI team, to drive team effectiveness and engagement across the portfolio.- Support development of program-wide and country-specific objectives, strategies and milestones regarding new vaccine introductions.- Assess progress against program objectives in areas of focus in collaboration with country team and regional managers.- Help prepare high-quality briefings for donors and CHAI management, including achievements to date, key risks & opportunities, and action plan going forward; effectively manage donor relationships.Lead CHAI's vaccines program in the area of new vaccine introduction, in collaboration with program and country leadership- Develop/update CHAI’s strategy and thought leadership related to new vaccine introductions, both at global and country level, to increase CHAI’s effectiveness and impact.- Support fundraising and grant proposal and budget development in line with CHAI’s strategy, model, competitive priorities and capabilities, both at country and global level.- Foster horizontal collaboration across Global Vaccine Delivery sub-teams to ensure NVI interventions are leveraged to support other CHAI’s vaccine delivery objectives (e.g. improving vaccine cold chain and supply chain, supporting service delivery at the last mile, supporting sub-national level management systems, ensuring successful transition from Gavi support, leveraging immunization to support primary health care strengthening etc.); putting in place appropriate mechanisms to ensure cross-fertilization across these objectives.- Foster collaboration with other CHAI teams, including Vaccines Markets Team, Global Malaria, Global Cervical Cancer teams etc to align strategic activities between new vaccine introductions and other relevant health interventions.Provide strategic and programmatic leadership for the design and implementation of work in focus countries to dramatically and sustainably optimize new vaccine introductions, in collaboration with direct reports and Regional Managers- Support ramp up of new workstreams and new focus countries, and strengthen capabilities of existing programs, leveraging institutional knowledge from CHAI.- Contribute to the design, planning and implementation of high-impact work with country teams to achieve high and sustainable coverage of new and routine vaccines in CHAI focus countries. - Drive continuous development and effective dissemination and use of programmatic "toolkits" and “playbooks”, lessons learned, and other know-how related to new vaccine introductions across CHAI's vaccines program focus countries. - Demonstrate impact and support countries to plan for scale and sustainability of high-impact work, including transition of successful practices to national government leadership.Improve national and global practices and policies related to new vaccine introductions, in collaboration with direct reports and program leadership- Develop productive relationships with key stakeholders (WHO, Gavi, BMGF, UNICEF, PATH, JSI, Jhpiego) and foster effective exchange of know-how with partners.- Become a respected and trusted thought leader in this area of focus within CHAI and within the global immunization community.- Disseminate CHAI's programmatic insights into the global immunization community and inform global policies and country practices beyond CHAI focus countries, including through Global working groups (e.g., EPI manager meetings, WHO hosted regional meetings, antigen specific global working groups, etc.)- Other tasks as requested by manager.
- Work with various country team offices to manage payroll deadlines and process bi-weekly and monthly payroll submissions- Facilitate the employee life cycle - onboarding new hires, conducting onboarding calls, assist in termination process, including sending exit letters and exit surveys, and coordinating with HR Partners on any sensitive issues and entering and maintaining data in HRIS- Enter data on new hires, changes and terminations into HRIS and ensure employee documents are saved appropriately- Communicate with benefits vendors and enter data into online benefits systems regarding new hire enrollments, changes and terminations- Work closely with HR Manager of Benefits and Compliance to support employees and managers with benefits questions and assist with escalated claims issues- Monitor shared Human Resources email account and field incoming questions related to onboarding, benefits, and general HR issues- Actively monitor contract end dates and issue contract renewals when needed- Assist with audits - conduct weekly internal audits and coordinate with the Finance department to provide documents and information for internal and external audits- Assist employees with employment verifications and visa letters- Provide ad-hoc data & project support, including reporting from the HRIS and other administrative support to Human Resources staff as needed- Work closely with Country Teams to understand in-country processes and needs and bring in-country perspective to Global HR team to inform process improvements- Work with the Expenses and Payroll department to process reimbursements and pay invoices- Support special projects related to compliance and operational efficiency, as well as other projects as assigned by supervisor
- Work with national malaria staff and CHAI country teams to conduct malaria program reviews; update or write national strategic plans; and optimize and cost national malaria programs by building Excel-based costing and budget models- Conduct costing and financial analyses and support the development of funding proposals and operational plans- Support governments to meet Global Fund requests and satisfy grant application requirements, including budget development- Serve as a trusted advisor to CHAI country teams- Serve as liaison between CHAI regional technical teams, country partners, and stakeholders- Build strong relationships with stakeholders across government, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector- Engage with and cultivate donors, including individuals, corporations, and organizations interested in supporting malaria programs- Draft presentations and reports for internal and external stakeholders- Coordinate meetings and facilitate knowledge sharing between government programs and partner organization in the region to ensure coordination- Provide program and budget updates for internal project management, best practice sharing, and donor reporting- Other responsibilities as needed