The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Cervical cancer is the most common cancer in Senegal, with almost 2000 new cases and more than 1300 deaths in 2020 according to WHO Global Cancer Observatory. However, this is a preventable cancer thanks to effective HPV vaccination of girls, screening of women and treatment of precancerous lesions identified.
The Senegalese Ministry of Health committed to the WHO global strategy to accelerate the elimination of cervical cancer through the achievement of 90% HPV vaccination coverage, 70% screening coverage, and 90% access to treatment for cervical pre-cancer and cancer by year 2030. Together with other local partners, CHAI has been working since 2020 to implement an HPV pilot project to demonstrate the feasibility of integrating human papillomavirus (HPV) screening and treatment of precancerous lesions into routine health care for cervical cancer prevention. Now that the operational feasibility has been proven, the project is expanding to new districts as well as other screening methods.
CHAI is looking for an Analyst, Cervical Cancer to support the government of Senegal with the expansion of cervical cancer screening program. The Analyst will help design the monitoring and evaluation strategy, training materials, as well as manage frequent field visits to select sites, train providers, supervise them, and collect data. This will require day-to-day operational management of the project in program districts. Travel for this position can be expected at 30-50% of the time within Senegal.
The Analyst will be based in Dakar and will report to the Program Manager, Cervical Cancer. We are seeking a highly motivated individual with strong credentials, outstanding communication skills, and good analytical ability. The candidate must be self-driven, adaptable, flexible, and have a high level of comfort with fast-paced work. They must be a fast learner, self-assured, and a strong team player.
Some of the responsibilities include:
• Support program team in areas of procurement, capacity building, demand generation, and operational rollout of program.
• Monitor program implementation activities, including but not limited to, working with field staff to review programmatic activities, track implementation, and monitor and review outputs.
• Build and maintain trust-based relationships with key government partners (at the state and district level), local partners, and other relevant stakeholders to expand access to quality cervical cancer prevention.
• Provide high quality data analysis, synthesize various sources of data into comprehensive and streamlined output highlighting key recommendations.
• Work on a costed national scale-up plan of cervical cancer program to help government raise funds and ensure good transition of the program after the project.
• Support Program Manager in donor and grant management and managing the operations and finances of the program to meet deliverables within the appropriate timeframes.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager, Cervical Cancer
• Bachelor’s Degree with at least 2 years of experience in a demanding, results driven environment
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, good attention to detail
• Strong analytical (quantitative and qualitative) skills with the ability to effectively communicate (orally and in written form) and to tailor communication to a variety of audiences
• Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information, including technical information, and to prepare compelling presentations and reports
• Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities
• Willingness to travel frequently to program sites within Senegal
• High level of integrity and professionalism
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Fluency in English and French, and Wolof strongly preferred
• Advanced degree
• Experience working in health sector in Senegal
• Experience working with governments and international partners in Senegal
• Knowledge of cervical cancer